Monday, March 12, 2007

Shul Ties

Nearly a month ago, I had, quite literally, a Deeply Religious Experience.

I went to shul (a.k.a. synagogue services, for all of you non-Jews out there) with a friend of mine in Minneapolis (yes, you!!) who is far more religious and spiritual than myself. No one knew me there. And yet, I felt far warmer and more welcome in there than I have inside a synagogue in quite some time.

Let's take it back a little. Let me just put it out there: I have never been a religious person by any means. I don't keep Kosher, I barely know any Hebrew and for my parents, it's like pulling teeth when it comes to getting me to go to services, even if it's just on the high holidays ("But daaaad...!!! The Yom Kippur service is, like, a bazillion hours longer than Saturday morning services!!!!!"). After my Bar Mitzvah, when it came to Judaism, I pretty much fell off the radar.

Granted, a few years ago, I tried to regain my spirituality and I showed up for a month or two worth of Saturday morning services. After that, I just...stopped. As sad as this is to say, it was just a phase I was going through. What's even sadder is that I actually really liked going. I felt at peace with myself, for once. Not only that, but people were starting to acknowledge me and grow accustomed to me being there. In a way, I feel like I let them down. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I haven't been back since.

Anyway, after that, despite having Saturdays off for a good year, I can only give one glaring explanation for not going: I was smoking pot. A LOT of pot!!!!!! How could I be bothered to go to shul when the furthest I was willing to go was to the refrigerator for some mad munchy snacks!! That must have been some good,
hallucinogenic green, too, because anyone who knows me knows that I never have anything in my refrigerator!!


Now, let's fast-forward to that moment again, nearly a month ago, where I'm sitting in shul with that friend of mine. I actually felt that peace billow up inside me, once again!! I found myself singing along to the prayers!! I even got to open up the Ark, which I found to be a great honor. It was just a wonderful experience. I'm actually really quite grateful to that person for allowing me the privilege of attending shul with them. It's an experience I won't soon forget.

Since then, however, I haven't been able to get out to my own synagogue in The Big "O." Unfortunately, my work schedule won't allow it. Sure, I could work on Sundays (apparently, it's the other day of the lord) instead of Saturday, but it's laundry day. Go ahead, call me shallow, but hell, even Tevye could vouch for me on the sole basis of it being TRADITIONNNNN!!!!

Still, if that day in shul has taught me anything, there's a spirituality missing from my daily life. I need to get it or, at least, get it back. The question that remains, however, is this: Is it possible for someone like myself, who has never really believed in much of anything--including himself--to find religion?

Why, yes. I believe it is possible and I'm already well on my way.

At that Jewish function I went to, a few days ago, I was having a conversation about Israel. Now, believe you me, folks, when I tell you this: Israel is normally not my usual topic of conversation. And yet, for one reason or another, there I was talking about Israel with the young ladies who organized the get-together. They asked me whether I had been there or not. Of course, I told them the truth. And then they brought it to my attention that there is a program called Birthright, where young Jews, like myself (though, admittedly, I don't feel so young anymore, but anyhoo...), ages 18-26 can go on free trips to Israel. Yes, you read that right: Free airfare, free lodging, free meals...free everything (except for shopping and incidentals)!

I was struck with one burning thought: I'm turning 26 in about 12 days. I'm running out of time!!

So, with that, comes my big announcement (well, alright...maybe it's not big to you, but whatever): I have decided to register for the Birthright trip so I can go this Summer. It's not a lot of time and I'll need to work fast, but thinking about it now, this could be the trip--THE SPIRITUAL AWAKENING!!--I've been waiting for.

Besides, at the very, very least, maybe I'll find a nice girl. I hear they've got a great Jewish population over there.

No comments: