Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Save Me

It's so common.

In movies and on TV, you always hear women going on about how they want their knight in shining armor. A man to pick them up and carry them away toward that bright, shiny place in their hearts and minds otherwise known as--you've got it!!--Happily Ever After. In fact, on a fairly recent episode of "Grey's Anatomy," our modern-day icon of feminism (god, I sure as hell hope not!!), Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo), referred to her Dr. McDreamy as a "knight in shining whatever."

But what about guys like me?

I mean, I know, as men, we're supposed to be the hunter/gatherers, displaying only a limited range of emotions and desires (sex, manly sports, sex, eating buffalo wings, sex, etc.), but honestly, I want to find my knight in shining armor, too!!

No, I am neither gay nor did I come out of the closet since my last blog. The meaning behind those words are actually quite simple. That is, I want a woman to save me.

"Save me."

Those are some pretty interesting words to choose, right? Pretty dramatic really. I mean, I'm not in any mortal danger. No one has tied me to a train track a la the "Dudley Do-Right" cartoons. I'm not sick or in need of an organ donor. No, the truth is quite simple really.

I'm no picnic.

Yes, as you may have noticed throughout every single one of my blogs, I am a bag of quirks and idiosyncrasies. I mean, just look to the left of this entry in the "About Me" section. That, right there, pretty much tells you what you're in for before you even read this sucker. But as I've also mentioned, in the past, there really is more to me than those, um, qualities. Deep down, I'm a pretty decent guy who is eager to please and ready and willing to do anything to make someone crack even the faintest of smiles. But ya have to get to know me first. You have to be willing to peel away all of those layers to find that, yeah, there is a man under here who wants to love...and be loved.

But yeah, needless to say, I guess I am what you would call an acquired taste.

Now, it would be selfish of me to just expect some woman to just put up with me, take care of me, constantly boost my low self-esteem. No one should ever expect that in a relationship. That's not a girlfriend. That's a nursemaid, possibly even a shrink. However, what I would really love is for a woman to just look me in the eye, look past all of the aforementioned neuroses and eccentricities and just...see...me. I'd love them to be able to look at me and think to themselves, ah, yes...There it is. I see it now. There is someone with potential in there. He may not have it all together now and, yeah, he's kind of a mess, but ya know what, there's a man inside of him, right here and now, that's worth sticking by and fighting for.

Most of all, though, I want someone who will be happy just being with me. Not the person I may have been at one time. Not the person that I could or will be.

Just. Me.

That's what I want. That's my knight in shining armor: The person who sees me for who I am and is willing to overlook the not-so-desirable personality traits, able to realize that there is a man in there that is worth knowing and loving.

One of my all-time favorite movies is "Sideways." The main character, Miles (beautifully played by the great Paul Giamatti), is this depressed, insecure, cynical oenophile (wine lover) with the lowest self-esteem you could ever imagine. It's the closest a movie has ever gotten to portraying me. Every time I watch it, I think to myself, did Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor write this film with me in mind?! Anyway, there's this woman, Maya (Virginia Madsen), that he's fallen for, over time, but has never had the guts to do anything about. They finally have a moment together about an hour into the movie. She asks him why he likes Pinot Noir so much and he gives a monologue that makes me want to hold myself every single time I hear it. Why? Well, because it is so truly, utterly me:

"Uh, I don't know, I don't know. Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know. Right? It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and uh, thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention. You know? And in fact it can only grow in these really specific, little, tucked away corners of the world. And, and only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet."

The monologue itself is brilliant. No denying that. And then something happens that elevates it from just being a scene with two talking heads, but a moment of real, nearly tangible emotion and feeling. While he's talking, the camera closes in on her and you realize, she knows that, deep down, he's talking about himself. And it's then that she falls in love with him. She sees him for the man fucked up yet lovely man that he is. And it is then that she places her hand on top of his. Magical, magical, magical.

I guess that's really what I'm looking for: My own Maya. My Knight in Shining Whatever.

My hero. My champion.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have held my tongue for far too long. i reduced reading your blog to mere comic relief in my day. a guaranteed ounce of humor in my internet surfing. but as of late, you have drove me to read less and less of your drivel. today i decided to roll the dice one more time, hoping that you would have something interesting to say, something grown up. a revelation maybe. no. never. today is the same old self-indulgent, "help me help me" bullshit you've always wrote about.

save you? for fuck sake man, SAVE YOURSELF. if you sit there and yearn and pine for "ms. right" to just show up and sweep you off your feet, well you better have a comfortable chair and a damn good book on hand, because IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. women in this world dont want to deal with the psychosis of a man who cant get his life in order. most of them want to mold you in to their "perfect man" but that starts with you. it starts with you being a man to begin with.

if i keep reading your blog and seeing a continued downward trend, i swear to the lord above, i am going to show up in omaha, smack you off your favorite bar stool, and beat the living piss out of you.

for the love of god, hal, get it together, and grow the fuck up.

Anonymous said...

According to anonymous (weak), a woman wants to ""mold" you into their "perfect man"". Well, only women who are not secure in who they are and what they want NEED to mold someone into their "perfect man". Most women want a man who has aspirations, dreams and feelings and are able to express them without feeling their manhood is weakened. Men who feel the need to knock a person down both verbally and with physical threats need to have their own balls checked out! Get a grip, you are only reading Hals blog because your own roommate was insecure about what she wanted in a relationship and let her insecurities drag something on that she should have ended long before any major emotions came into play. Hal is a person who flys with his emotions on his sleeve which makes him the wonderful full of life person he is! Stop reading if you don't like what you are reading. Come say hi to me when you get to Omaha asshole!

Courtney said...

woah! harsh! not entirely untrue, but still very harsh. i just don't get how it's okay for all the women in movies, t.v. shows, and even in real life to make these same claim about wanting a man to "sweep them off thier feet" and people just say, "oh wouldn't that be romantic." but when a guy like you says it, it's "be a man. save yourself".
Everyone should be self-sufficent and be happy with themselves. don't expect someone else to make you happy. all that bullshit, but is it so wrong to have a little fantasy about someone coming around and making your life perfect? i don't think so. keeping on dreaming, man, just don't depend on it :)

Anonymous said...

I wish Sanjaya Malakar would sweep me off my feet.

Different Anonymous

Anonymous said...

What a pitiful comment by "anonymous". She seems to have reduced herself to insulting the very qualities she hates in herself huh? how obvious of a tartness in her character, yet I can still only speculate.

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal entry!!!, complete, honest, witty! By God Hal, I interacted with this blog the entire time- I wanted to respond to it throughout and especially to tell you how it is interesting how well you know yourself yet you are willing to let someone "save" you (which seems to mean to me that you honestly want someone to tell you how they see you)---which all in all becomes so ironically charming because I begin to think: maybe you don't know yourself that well---THEN I realize THAT itself is how real LOVE manifests itself. you are so full of love, it will take a strong and true character to see the depth and cleverness you offer. you completely have us on our toes HAL