Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Listen Up!!

So, I know it's a little late to start making New Years resolutions, but I've decided to do the unthinkable. That's right! I'm making an Almost Mid-New Year Resolution. And, for many of you, it will be something you've really been waiting for on my end, lemme tell ya.

From here on out, my goal is this: to talk less, listen more.

I'm very self-involved. It's one of my biggest character flaws. I talk about myself...all the time. One of the biggest, most common criticisms that I get is that when people talk to me, confide in me, etc., I tend to go back inside my head to pull out a personal experience of my own to match theirs. And, ya know, that's a good thing...on some levels. I mean, it's good to be able to find things you can relate to when it comes to communicating with other people.

The problem is that when I'm trying to find something in which to relate, I tend, well, not to listen to what they're saying. What's worse is that most people can see exactly when it happens. I think my eyes do sort of a glazing-over thing. I'm not quite sure how it works, actually. Either way, though, it's no good.

One of my favorite lines in "Pulp Fiction" (and I think it may be a deleted scene, so if you don't remember this amazing nugget of Q.T. dialogue, it's probably because it never made it past the cutting room floor) belongs to Uma Thurman. She tells Vincent Vega (John Travolta) that there are two types of people in this world: Those who listen and those who simply wait to talk.

Well, sorry to say, for a good portion of my life, I have been one of those people who fall into the latter category. As previously mentioned, I tend to listen to a small portion of what another person is saying and then I space out and think of something really witty to say, some way I can tie myself into their story or, yeah--guilty as charged--think of a new, more entertaining subject to begin talking about.

Hell, just tonight, two phone calls in a row, I was asked if I was even paying attention to what the person on the other end was saying (I wasn't) and if I had an answer to their question (nope again!). Gotta say...it's getting pretty embarrassing. If I'm any type of friend, I need to really start being more considerate of other peoples' thoughts and feeling and stop thinking about myself.

Yes, readers, as a special treat, just this once, the window has been opened for one and all to comment about the other ailment I suffer from: Only Child Syndrome. So, have at it. It's a one-time thing (but something tells me no one is going to ever let me forget it).

Wrapping things up (hey, I'm tired, alright?!?!), look, I think it's a pretty common thing for everyone to think that their shit, their drama is more important than the next guy or gal. However, if you are truly a good friend, you will find a way to get over yourself, listen and just be there--really there!!

For those friends of mine (and family) who read this--and you know who you are--from now on, I am going to try and be that person.

Happy Almost Mid-New Year!!

1 comment:

Amanda McCauley said...

I am not going to criticize any of your faults(especially since I myself suffer from the dreaded only-child-syndrome). I just want to say this; you must read the book "Be Here Now". I think it will help you. GO NOW! Go to Borders and BUY THAT BOOK!!!