Sunday, May 4, 2008

Eargasm

Is it possible to have an orgasm in your ears?

Well, maybe not.

But I'll tell you something: tonight, when I saw Dennis DeYoung, one of the founding members, as well as writer, lead singer and keyboardist for the band Styx, perform my all-time favorite song, "Come Sail Away" (ya better get that call-tune queued up for me, by the time I call next, Crysi Dawn, my little chickadee!! Though, I will admit, it is still hard out there for a pimp and no, I haven't stopped believing. Wink, wink...nudge nudge), I think it's about as close to having a sexual climax of the auditory system as I'm ever gonna get.

I've been to several concerts in my time--some pretty big names, too. Let's see: U2, Celine Dion, Sarah McLachlan, Coldplay, Bon Jovi...Hootie and the Blowfish (hmmm...). I'll also be seeing the reunion tour of Sting and the Police, with Elvis Costello opening for them, in a couple of weeks. Though, I'm still kicking myself in my gigantic ghetto booty for missing the Rufus Wainwright concert, but what can you do? Besides, Rufe's not gonna run out of his trademark angst. Well, at least, not anytime soon. Though, he does seem to be happy with his boyfriend, Jörn (whoa, what is this? "Lives of the Rich and Famous?!) He'll be back. I've also seen some pretty darn obscure--but just as amazing, if not more--live acts (Kyle Koliha, Albert Cummings, Mingo Fishtrap).

But this single song being played, man. Backed by a robust 39-piece orchestra, live at The Holland Center in The Old Market? It was one of the most dizzying, euphoric experiences of my life.

I, quite literally, was move. To. Tears. Hell, every inch of my body was moved. My synapses were set to "extra crispy" and fried by the time it was over.

And that was just the performance.

I love, love, LOVE that fucking song. It is everything that I'm about. It encompasses all that I love and know about life. To me, the song is about our dreams, our endeavors, the choices we make, the paths we take. And sometimes, we miss the boat, but we do what we can to right the ship and work through whatever wreckage and find a way to shore.

I've made a lot of mistakes over the years; some foolish, some well-intentioned, some small, some big and some, well, catastrophic. But, like the songs says, I carry on. And I live my life. And I see all these people from my past--school, work, etc.--getting their lives in order, starting families and sometimes, I cry. Other times, I panic and I wonder what I'm doing wrong. And eventually, it hits me.

There is no right and there is no wrong. Life is about pushing forward, from one day to the next and having family and friends and not giving up and not backing down and just giving it your all, no matter how dreadful you think the next day will be. It's about fighting the fight. If you can do that...than you're golden.

I want to close this entry with a quote, a message if you will, that Mr. DeYoung ended his majestic performance with that was so simple but so honest and true and real and powerful that I just wanted to hug myself.

"In life, there are winners and there are losers. Wanna know what a winner is? It's a loser...who gives it one more try."

No comments: