Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The First Supper

I know. It's okay. You can say it. Fine! If you won't, I will!!

"Hey, Mr. Neu-FUCKIN'-rotica....When in the bloody HELL did this become a cooking blog?!?!"

Hey, somebody had to say it.

So, alright. I know I've been talking about cooking a helluva lot. And yeah, I know it's probably starting to get annoying to some of you (well, maybe not so much American Idol guy. Dude!!! Sanjaya is still in the game!!! What up wit dat?! Hollaback, yo!!) Normally, I'd say fuck off and go read a copy of Us Weekly if you want something juicier than my growth in the culinary arts, but even I'm starting to get bored writing about the cooking thing.

So, with that, I'm going to cut down on the cooking blogs. However, not before writing about the lovely evening I had with my mom, yesterday. Once again, I cooked the Mexican chicken and beans recipe. As always, it turned out beautifully and my timing couldn't have been any more perfect as it was done by the time my mom arrived with the puppies, at eight.

I want to give you a little bit of perspective on the evening. All my life, my mom has been at my side. She's given me so many things. Hell, I might not be walking or even sitting here, typing this if it weren't for my mom and her (tough) love. Every single night, she has provided me with meal after meal...even after I moved out!! So, please, dear reader, imagine how wonderful it felt to sit her down at a set table and serve her a Caesar salad and a dish that I prepared all by myself. Picture how amazing it felt to have her--the same woman who will eat just a bowlful of spinach and Basmati rice and call it "dinner"--wolf down two giant tortillas and ask me for the recipe at the end, not to mention suggest I go to culinary school (Nahhh...I like to cook just for fun.)

Yes, I get it: It was just one meal and I probably owe her around 9,489 to catch up (if you must know, I went 26 x 365 to come up with that number, so shush!!).

After dinner, mom laid down on the sofa with the puppies and we watched "The Holiday" (love it!!!!). I must say, it was weird seeing them on my couch like that. And yet, it was so satisfying having my mom relax at my place for once and just chill out with me. I think, when it all comes down to it, the reason the evening was so perfect was because for once, my mom and I were hanging out, rather than me just...hanging around.

And for the first time, I felt like I was an adult, a grown man in her eyes and not just her little boy. It's funny. Normally, I tend to eat and run while I'm at their place; like I can't get out of there fast enough. So, it struck me as odd that I felt a twinge of sadness when she and the dogs left. Oh, well...they'll be back.

They all come back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sanjaya's gonna take it all! Victory!