Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Day the Music Died...

So, today, I got into a little trouble at work. Eegads.

Basically, my manager caught me playing my iPod at my desk. I had one of those little iPod docks playing my music ever so softly (trust me...I'm sure I am the only one who could hear it). Even though the screen was black (I turned it off as I saw her approaching), the little blue ON light emanating from the dock must have caught her eye; that, and the deer-in-headlights look I sported on my face.

She loomed over me and tapped one of the buttons on my iPod to discover that, yes, the music had been paused. She tapped my hand and I could just barely hear her say (I was on a call when this went down) "put it away." About 15 minutes later, I received a nasty-gram from her saying that "further discussions on this topic would result in progressive discipline."


Okay, first off, don't touch my shit and ESPECIALLY don't touch me! Second of all, it's MUSIC, for chrissakes!! Third of all, if I'm the only one who can hear it, who fucking cares?!?! Even if someone could hear it, they'd realize that there is nothing "offensive" about it. I mean, that is, unless you count Rufus Wainwright (okay...there IS that one song, "Gay Messiah," but something tells me Boss Lady isn't going to start Googling the lyrics to my music), U2, Fiona Apple or David Bowie as offensive!!

I'll tell you what it is. It's a power trip!!! My boss wants me to know she's in charge at all times. And I get that. I mean, if you're in a position of power, you want people to show you respect and follow your lead. One-hundred percent understood!! But for cryin' out loud...don't you have more important things to do than crush a guy for listening to his music at a more-than-reasonable volume level?!?!

And the thing is, she's actually a pretty nice person when you get to talk to her, one-on-one. Somewhere along the line, though, I think she lost perspective on The Big Picture.

I guess what boggles my mind the most (and, yes, I know this will sound overly simplistic) is how, with all the pain and suffering that goes on all over the world, something as tiny and insignificant as a person's music could be seen as a threat, nuisance or problem. It's really quite sad.

I know we shouldn't sweat the small stuff but sometimes...the small stuff really sweats us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's your big bad boss lady going to do when Sanjaya Malakar's CD comes out and everybody and their mother is compulsively playing him on their Ipods? Riddle me that, Halman.

Amanda McCauley said...

Eh... what about the managers that listen to their ipods, on thier ipod docs at their desk amongst the sales associates. Or what about central pod listening to music through the computer, or sales associates on the sales floor putting cd's into the computer tower? Eh seems petty to me when so many others are allowed to jam. the moral of the story is...DON'T ROCK BLOCK!!!

Anonymous said...

amazingly enough i don't get in trouble for listening to my iPod.... even that time Rilo Kiley's "A Better Son/Daughter" blared out the f-bomb :)