Wednesday, August 6, 2008

By George...!!!!

I'VE GOT IT!!!!

Ok...a few weeks ago, I came up with an ending to my latest screenplay. Something about the hero and heroine chatting it up online, each in their own respective corners of the world. How very Tom and Meg of me!!

Um...REWRITE!!!

I wanna go bigger. When people see this movie--and they will...right, Erik?!--I want people to be like, "wow! That movie really inspired me" or "wow...I need to make a change my life."

I was thinking about things, this evening, and the ending just popped in my head. I didn't have a pen where I was and, apparently, no one else in Omaha carries one either, so I just had to make due with the notepad feature on my cell phone. Without giving too much away, it ends--of all places--on a tropical island with an amazing sunset. Our hero stands at the edge of the ocean, watching the majestic sunset. A woman's hand grasps his and she joins him in watching the sunset. They kiss, smile at each other and head back toward the mainland. We pull away to discover....

That's all you're getting. There's a little twist, but it is absolutely perfecto!! It's not exactly a reality. It's a completely happy, satisfying ending. But it's not the one that people will see coming. Not by a long shot!

This thing is gonna be big.

The truth? I've been completely intimidated by writing this motherfucker, for the last few months. And it's not for a lack of plot. This sucker has got it all!! I truly think it's a great story with many different themes: Love lost and found, missed opportunities, heartbreak, deceit, commitment, sacrifice, arrested development and, ultimately, just...growing up.

And yet, I've been too afraid to write it. Why?

Well, the story had yet to truly play out.

I think it finally has. Well, at least one aspect of it. And it has nothing to do with difficult choices or tragedy or me pissing and moaning or anything like that. I'm actually pretty secure and comfortable with how things concluded. It's just life. Sometimes, things work out and other times, they just don't.

Circumstances, man. Life's all about circumstances. And that's okay.

At the very least, out of all of this, I have gained an amazing friend, a cheerleader (among many others in my own neck of the woods. Y'all better know who you are! I'm going to really miss you when I leave.), who wants the very best out of me. And I know that things will be different now, but I'm just glad that she's still in my life. Whether she feels comfortable saying it back or not, I love her and wish her nothing but the best of everything. I truly mean that from the bottom of my heart.

There aren't any "buts" or "howevers" to that last statement either.

I think she's an amazing person and I'm glad she's finally becoming the happy(er) person that she was, is and will be. I hope I can be her cheerleader.

In the meantime, I'll be writing our story.

And yeah, it's a fucking beautiful one--no matter what the ending.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I just had a massive re-wright moment a couple weeks ago myself, but mine isn't just the ending... it's the whole book plue another story that will tie into it. See, my dreams are like f'ing gold!

-Erik- said...

I promise Hal, if I ever make it big, or somehow get a large sum of money, I'll make one of your screenplays into a movie. We'll just have to agree on which one will be there. I like the coke one after a revision but we'll see how many you have done when we get there. I also have a screenplay that I'm going to start on when I go down to lincoln. It should be fucking sweet.

I love you bromosexual. This is my Howard, I hope you aren't mad at me. Tell me if you are. Promise? Okay, enough sappy shit. Tomorrow is going to be fucking awesome. Fuck yeah.