Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Waiting For A Want

Elton John said it best: I want love...just a different kind.

And it's true. I do want love. I'm just not sure I'm ready to settle for the next best thing.

In truth, I don't want to settle at all...for anything.

I always get a little exasperated when I hear my friends call their significant others "dick" or "asshole" or "dumb ass" or worse. It always boggles my mind when I see boyfriends and girlfriends constantly fight and break up and get back together again, as if their lives depended on it.

Maybe it's my inexperience, but I've always been of the belief that, while it's perfectly natural to argue from time to time and that every relationship has its ebbs and flows, partners should have a sort of mutual respect for one another and hold true to the belief that they're in this thing together.

Maybe it's just the way I was raised. My parents rarely fought or even argued. My dad is the ying to my mom's yang. He's the cool, calm, collected one and my mom is the emotional heart. It's pretty rare, these days, when you see two couples always smiling, holding hands, cuddling, wanting to be with one another, but somehow, my parents got it.
I could honestly say they have the Perfect Marriage.

I never understand how people can stay in relationships if they're so unhappy. I mean, I guess I understand that when you break up, it sort of feels like you've wasted your time with nothing to show for it other than hurt feelings and tears shed, but I mean, it's such a big world out there. There's bound to be someone out there who you're going to be happier with and who is going to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Why stick with someone you can't stand, someone who treats you like shit?

I know I don't want that.

My cousin Greer, bless her heart, once told me that she wanted someone to love her more than she loves them. And to a degree, I hear that and I see what she's saying. I mean, who doesn't want that kind of security? Who doesn't want to be showered with love and adoration.

The problem with this theory is simple: That's not a significant other...that's a pet.

Honestly,
what I'm looking for is something quite simple: I want to love and be loved in equal measures. That's it. I want the two of us to co-exist in our own universe of wants and needs and desires and happiness and dreams fulfilled.

Too sappy? Fine.


Long story short: I want to be someone's everything and absolutely, positively no one's "asshole."

1 comment:

-Erik- said...

That's a tall request Buddy. I think that's what everyone wants, but life doesn't always work out that way. I want nothing more than that. I am 20 years old and have only dated 5 girls for 2 weeks; each ending in me getting fucked over. We just have to keep looking for that someone. I don't believe in soulmates. If they do exist, then there are multiple soulmates for each person. But Patience is the key to life man. If we don't wait, there's nothing holding us back from shooting ourselves in the head.

Many people have to have a different kind of relationship though. I know many people who are in hectic relationships but they love each other more than anyone could love each other. It's just how they are programmed. Me? I'm like you. I like low profile, lazy love.

We'll find someone Hal, just give it time. :D