Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ooh Child

Jessie paint your pictures 'bout how it's gonna be.
By now I should know better, your dreams are never free.
"Jesse" by Joshua Kadison (1993)


The other night, I didn't include a someone in my list of friends. I'm here now to turn the spotlight on her.

Jess, I know that this is going to be a very, very difficult year for you, but you have so many people out there who love you, so many people out there who want you to be happy--truly happy, not just content. Sometimes, before you can achieve true happiness, you have to make difficult, shitty life-changing choices. And I know it would be so much easier to stick with the status quo and go with the flow. But you deserve more than just "the flow."

You deserve the world.

I remember this movie I watched, "The Weather Man" with Nicolas Cage and The Great Michael Caine (rent it--it's amazing!), had this wonderful bit of dialogue:
"Do you know that the harder thing to do and the right thing to do are usually the same thing? Nothing that has meaning is easy. 'Easy' doesn't enter into grown-up life."


You can do this. I know it. Everyone knows it. And we are all here for you and we love you--especially me. And we're here to catch you when you fall.

You will weather this storm, babe.

You're
Jess. You can do anything.

I know it and I know you know it, too.

No comments: